||Office of the State Comptroller
Tier II/IIA - Retirement Basics
- Generally, Tier II applies to state employees first hired from
July 2, 1984 through June 30, 1997.
- Tier II is a non-contributory defined benefit retirement plan
for most members. The only Tier II members who are required to make
retirement contributions are:
- Generally, Tier IIA applies to state employees first hired on
July 1, 1997 or
through June 30, 2011.
- Tier IIA is a contributory defined benefit retirement plan.
- As a Tier IIA member, you must contribute two percent (2%) of
your total annual salary, unless you serve in a designated hazardous
duty position or elected to pay an additional contribution to
maintain the current normal retirement age.See
RETIREMENT SERVICES DIVISION MEMORANDUM 2013-02
- Tier IIA hazardous duty members are required to contribute
five percent (5%) of their total annual salary.
Back to State Employees and Retirees Benefits Information
Back to Comptroller's Home Page