W-2 Questions and
Answers: For Employees
1) If I have general questions about my W-2 who do I call?
Contact your agency payroll office. Agency payroll offices now have the ability to view/re-print 2011 - 2014 W2ís. 2015,2016 W-2ís will be available in early January.
2) If I have security questions regarding how to access Core-CT, who can I call?
If you have never logged into Core-CT before (or since October 2012), your temporary password should still be the first four characters of their last name (in UPPERCASE) + last four digits of their social security number. You should contact the agency's security liaison for questions about this. Here is a link to a list of security liaisons for each state agency:
3) Are there employee-level instructions regarding how to view W-2ís, update W-2 consent statusís, add/update email addresses and home/mail addresses?
Yes, the employee-level instructions are posted under the following URL:
4) I revoked my consent to have electronic W2 forms via W-2 consent page in Core-CT. When attempting to save the Core-CT consent page change, Iím receiving a message that says I not have a preferred email address and will not receive email confirmations. How can I correct this to ensure I will receive electronic messages?
As long as the agency has the electronic update of address
and email address as an accessible option to their employees, the employee may
follow this job aid to add an email address:
5) What is the last day I can update my W-2 consent status or change my home/mailing address if I receive a printed W-2?
December 11th is the last day for calendar year 2017.
6) Why canít I log-on to Core-CT on my Apple device?
Core-CT (Oracle, PeopleSoft) current does not support IOS 9.
IOS 9 will be supported in a future update. For a list of all supported
browsers, you can visit the following URL:
7) What if I need a re-print of a W-2 that pre-dates calendar year 2011?
Contact your agency payroll office. Agencies can request W-2ís going back as far as 1990 through the Comptrollers office.
8) Will the 1095-C Affordable Health Care Act Form be sent/distributed with my W-2?
No, the 1095-C will be printed and mailed to employees separately. The 1095-C electronic process should be available to employees at some point in 2018. For more information about 1095-Cís, visit the following URL: https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-1095-C
9) My department info and employee id is included on the second address line in the envelope window of my W-2. Why is this information listed here?
This information is for employees who received a printed W-2 in the mail from OSC. The department/employee id info allows OSC to forward any returned W-2ís to agencies due to an outdated employee-level mailing addresses.
10) If I need a W-2 correction (W-2-C), will the W-2-C be
available via the self-service
Yes, the W-2-C will be available to you via the self-service
page (assuming you have Core-CT self-service access).
11) If Iím teaching part time but have retired from state service, will my W-2 be available on-line? Does the state create one W-2 which includes my pension and part time earnings?
You will receive a 1099-R (mailed, not available online) for
your retirement wages and a W-2 for your teaching wages. The W-2 will be
available to you online as long as you have self-service access to Core-CT.
12) Why are my Box 1 Federal wages not equal to my Box 16 State
Certain deduction codes are subject to Federal tax but not
State tax (example: Taxable
medical deduction codes). The difference between the Federal wages and State
Wages should match the taxable deduction YTD total(s). Check with your agency
payroll office on this if you have additional questions.
13) How far back can W-2's have corrections issued (via W-2-C's)?
Generally, 3 years is the rule (for FICA/Medicare corrections
per section 205(c)(1) of the Social Security Act (also called 42 U.S.C. 405)).
14) What is the amount listed in Box 14Y (414H)?
Annual employee level retirement contribution totals.
15) Can the Comptrollers Office (PSD) refund prior year state or
No, once the calendar year is closed, only FICA/Medicare can
be refunded and/or adjusted for employees via the W-2-C process (generally, 3
years is the farthest we can go back and refund/adjust for SS/Medicare per
section 205(c)(1) of the Social Security Act (also called 42 U.S.C. 405)).
Additional information regarding prior year taxes and/or the Statute of
Limitations can be found in IRS Publication 525.
16) Why is the "Total Gross YTD" column on my pay/advice stub not
equal to my Federal Wage (Box 1) on my W-2?
Box 1 (Federal Wage) on the W-2 is total wages minus pre-tax
deductions (year to date). Your pre-tax deduction year to date totals are also
listed on your check/advice stubs. In addition, if you have been paid
non-taxable earnings during the calendar year, these earnings are
included in your total gross on your check/advice stub but are not
included on your W-2 (as these earnings are non-taxable).
17) What does Box 12 DD "Cost of Employer Sponsored Health
Coverage" represent and why is it on the W-2?
The total amount in Box 12 DD represents the aggregate
employee and employer share
18) When I click on my e-W-2 in Core-CT, I'm receiving an "Error
404 ĖNot Found" error. I'm using Internet Explorer version 11 (IE 11) browser to
sign-on to Core-CT. How do I fix this?
You will need to add https://*.ct.gov to your trusted sites within IE 11. There is a Core-CT document that will guide you through this process:
19) Why are my current year W-2 taxable earnings lower when I compare them to last yearís W-2 taxable earnings?
The reason for the lower W-2 earnings is most likely due to
the increase Retiree Health Fund (OPEB, OPE2) and/or Benefit Deductions for the
current calendar year. Review your before tax deduction year to date totals on
your last check/advice stub (year-to-date) or contact your agency payroll office
for more information.
20) Why is my full first name not displaying on my W-2?
This issue is limited to employees who have hyphenated last names.
If you would like to have your full first name display on your W-2, please contact your agency payroll office
and request a W2-C name change correction. This is not mandatory, as the IRS will recognize and process your
W-2 as long as your social security number is correct. This issue will be corrected in a future release of our W-2 process.
Any additional questions from agencies may be sent to email@example.com