COMPTROLLER'S MEMORANDUM NO. 99-35
August 23, 1999
TO THE HEADS OF ALL STATE AGENCIES
|ATTENTION:||Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business Managers, and Payroll and Personnel Officers|
|SUBJECT:||Performance Assessment and Recognition System (PARS) Payments|
Effective September 24, 1999 there will be a wage increase available to all managers who meet the criteria. Additionally, in accordance with the Bureau of Human Resources memorandum dated June 25, 1999 issued by Alan Mazzola, Deputy Commissioner of the Bureau of Human Resources, Department of Administrative Services (DAS), Performance Assessment and Recognition System (PARS) bonuses are effective with the pay period September 24 to October 7, 1999 (check date October 22, 1999).
NOTE: Be sure that Executive Assistants, Durational Project Managers and Customer Services Program Developer positions filled from outside the classified service are NOTcounted or paid PARS increases.
I. INCREASES TO BE BUILT INTO SALARIES
Approved increases may be built into salaries for:
1. Managerial personnel whose salary is below position rate in agencies participating in the PARS program.
Rating Increase Exceeds Expectations 3.0% Meets All Expectations 3.0% Needs Improvement (1st time) 1.5% Needs Improvement (2nd time) -0- Unsatisfactory -0-
2. A manager at the maximum of his/her salary group will be eligible for a
lump sum payment of 3.0% for performance rated as Meets or Exceeds
Expectations. A performance recognition award may be added to amount for exceptional performance.
3. Annual increases of 3.0% are eligible for managers on the MP and MD Pay Schedules in agencies which have not participated in the PARS program. This increase applies up to position rate for "good" performance. Lump sum payments are not available to managers in non-participating agencies.
II. PERFORMANCE RECOGNITION AWARD BONUS PAYMENTS
A. Detailed guidelines contained in the Bureau of Human Resources Memorandum, dated June 25, 1999, include the following requirements for performance bonuses only available to participating PARS managers:
1. For agencies with six or more participating managers, the minimum award bonus amount is $750 and the maximum bonus amount is $1500.
For agencies with fewer than six participating managers, the minimum award bonus amount is $250 and the maximum bonus amount is $1500.
2. Bonus payments are to be made in one lump sum payable on October 22, 1999.
3. Pro-rated payments may be made to managers who participated in the PARS process starting in July 1, 1998 and retired, were laid off, or died between January 1 and June 30, 1999. Please refer to the Appendix of the PARS manual for instructions on pro-rated payments and on managers hired or promoted during the year.
4. Managers who transfer from one agency to another during the rating year or prior to payout, receive PARS salary increases and/or lump sum payments from the employing agency at the time of payout. Bonus awards would be paid by the agency to which he/she has been assigned. Evaluations should be coordinated between the sending and receiving agencies.
The same expenditure coding should be used for a bonus payment as that charged for the employee's regular salary.
III. PAYROLL PROCEDURES
The PARS payments must be entered manually at the proper time as follows:
A. Payment of Built-In Increases:
Screen 160: Enter State, Payroll Unit, Employee Number, the new Hourly Rate in the Normal Hourly Rate field, and the new Salary in the Normal Salary field.
2. Remote Job Entry:
RA Transaction: Enter State, Payroll Unit, Employee Number, the new Hourly Rate in the Normal Hourly Rate field, and the new Salary in the Normal Salary field.
B. Lump Sum Payment for Managers at Maximum of Salary Group:
1.On-Line: Screens 047-190; R1, Amount, D/OE 21.
2. Remote Job Entry: ZT Transaction; Same as above.
C. Payment of Bonuses:
Bonus payments are subject to mandatory deductions; i.e., federal withholding tax and state income tax annualized, social security tax, retirement contributions and (if applicable) garnishments.
The bonus payment on the bi-weekly payroll will be separately identified as "Merit Bonus".
a. Screen 047 (Individual Employee):
Enter State (Level 1), Payroll Unit (Level 2), Employee Number, Transaction Code R1, Bonus Amount in dollars and cents in the Rate or Amount field with leading zeros (e.g., 0100000 = $1,000.00), D/OE '18' in the D/OE Code field.
b. Screen 190 (More Than One Employee - optional)
Use same procedures as those preceding for Screen 047.
2. Remote Job Entry:
ZT Transaction: Enter State (Level 1), Payroll Unit (Level 2), Employee Number, Code R1, Bonus Amount in dollars and cents in the Rate or Amount field with leading zeros (e.g., 0100000 = $1,000.00), D/OE '18' in D/OE Code field.
Questions may be directed to:
Department of Administrative Services
Bureau of Human Resources: PARS Coordinator, (860) 713-5192;
Office of the State Comptroller
Payroll Services Division: On-Line, (860) 702-3463; Remote Job Entry, (860) 702-3462;
Policy Services Division: (860) 702-3440.
Back to Comptroller's Home Page
Back to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda