DIVISION MEMORANDUM 2015-01
February 6, 2015
||Human Resource, Benefit and Payroll
||Cyber-attack Impacting Anthem Inc.
The Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) has become aware that Anthem, Inc.,
the parent company of our health insurance provider, is the victim of a
highly-sophisticated cyber-attack. Anthem has informed the OSC that its member
data was accessed, and could include that of former and current employees.
We are working closely with Anthem to better understand the impact to our
members. Here is what we know:
- Once Anthem determined it was the victim of a
sophisticated cyber-attack, it immediately notified federal law enforcement
officials and shared the indicators of compromise with the HITRUST C3
(Cyber Threat Intelligence and Incident Coordination Center).
- Anthem's Information Security has worked to eliminate any further
vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data.
- Anthem immediately began a forensic IT investigation to determine the number
of impacted consumers and to identify the type of information accessed. The
investigation is still taking place.
- The information accessed includes member names, member health ID
numbers/Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers,
and email addresses.
- Anthem is still working to determine which members' personal information was
- Anthem's investigation to date shows that no credit card or confidential
health information was accessed.
- Anthem has advised us there is no indication at this time that any of our
members' personal information has been misused.
- All impacted Anthem members will be offered retroactive identity theft
monitoring and credit monitoring services for two years. Anthem will soon
provide impacted members with information on how to enroll in this retroactive
We continue to work closely with Anthem to better understand the cyber-attack
and the impact on our members. For additional information, members should be
directed to the following resources:
Very truly yours,
THOMAS C. WOODRUFF, Ph.D.
Return to Index of 2015 Healthcare Policy
& Benefit Services Division Memoranda
Return to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Comptroller's Home Page