STATE OF CONNECTICUT
THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1775
MEMORANDUM NO. 2003-26
June 26, 2003
TO THE HEADS OF ALL STATE AGENCIES
||Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business
Managers, and Payroll and Personnel Officers
|| Payments for Nonpermanent Employees in P-4 and P-5
- To provide agencies with payroll instructions for implementing two
arbitration awards, one affecting nonpermanent employees in the P-4
bargaining unit and the other affecting nonpermanent employees in the P-5
- The March 2003 P-4 arbitration award and the May 2003 P-5 arbitration
award discussed in Office of Labor Relations (OLR) General Notice No.
2003-19 dated May 21, 2003.
III. AGENCY RESPONSIBILITIES
- A. P-4 Award
- The arbitrator ruled that P-4 nonpermanent employees who were separated
in their working test period or their training period were entitled to
four weeks notice provided to employees who were laid off. The
nonpermanent employees who received two weeks notice should be paid an
additional two weeks of pay at their applicable rate of pay. Agencies
should have already made this payment. If not, agencies must notify OLR
- B. P-5 Award
- The arbitrator ruled that nonpermanent employees in the P-5 bargaining
unit were entitled to six weeks notice. Agencies should pay nonpermanent
P-5 employees who were separated with two weeks notice an additional four weeks of pay at
the rate of pay in effect at the time of separation. If any nonpermanent
employee was separated with more or less than two weeks notice, agencies
should pay the employee so as to ensure a full six weeks notice.
IV. PAYROLL PROCEDURES
1. On-Line: Screen 047 or 190; R1; Amount; D/OE 10.
2. Remote Job Entry: ZT Transaction; Same as above.
- If agencies have not made these payments to affected nonpermanent P-4 and
P-5 employees, the payments should be included in the payroll check dated
July 25, 2003 (pay period June 27, 2003 through July 10, 2003).
Questions regarding this memorandum may be directed as follows:
Payroll Procedures: Office of the State Comptroller, Payroll
Services Division, (860) 702-3463;
- Remote Job Entry: Office of the State Comptroller, Payroll
Services Division, (860) 702-3458;
- Memorandum Interpretation: Office of the Comptroller, Policy
Services Division (860) 702-3440;
- Contract Issues: Agency Personnel Officer
Return to Index of 2003 Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Comptroller's Home Page