STATE OF CONNECTICUT
THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1775
Prior Year Worker's Comp Recovery
- 1) Agency receives a check from the worker's
compensation carrier, and deposits these funds into their account.
- 2) Issue a check to the employee for the total amount of
the FICA/Medicare and retirement deductions. Check is to be forwarded to the
- 3) Complete forms COP-9 and CO-1081 to begin the
recovery process. The COP-9 is to include the original gross pay and the
amount of the FICA/Medicare and retirement deductions in their appropriate
boxes on line 1. On the COP-9 the amount of check is to include the net
plus Federal and State taxes withheld.
- Form CO-1081 should reflect the total deductions being
reversed, FICA/Medicare and retirement only.
- Forms COP-9 and CO-1081 are to be forwarded to the
Payroll Services Division with a copy of the agency's deposit slip showing
the agency received the funds for reimbursement.
- 4) The Payroll Services Division will process the
reversal on the next payroll cycle. On that check date the agency will be
credited the appropriate deduction amounts.
- Payroll Services Division will also process the W-2c
adjusting the employee's taxable wage and FICA/Medicare deductions for the
appropriate tax year. The W-2c will be forwarded to the agency and should
then be forwarded to the employee. Payroll Services will report the
adjustments to the Federal and State Government.
- It is the employee's responsibility to file an amended
tax return with the IRS and the Department of Revenue Services, and if
appropriate, to receive a refund of Federal and/or State taxes.
- *The IRS and D.R.S. will not accept adjustments to an
employee's tax return after 3 years.
- *If an agency submits a prior year cancellation that
includes federal and state deductions, Payroll Services will adjust the
COP-9 and CO-1081 to remove the deductions. The agency will be responsible
for getting this money back from the employee.
Return to Index of 2001 Payroll Services Division
Return to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Comptroller's Home Page