STATE EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT COMMISSION
OFFICE OF THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106
May 20, 2010
CALL TO ORDER
DIVISION DIRECTOR'S ADMINISTRATIVE AND SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS
1. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE APRIL 15, 2010 MINUTES
2. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE STATE EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT COMMISSION CHAIRMAN'S PER DIEM EXPENSES REIMBURSEMENTS (attached)
3. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE STATE EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT
SYSTEM SERVICE RETIREMENTS FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL 2010(attached)
4. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE STATE EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT SYSTEM VOLUNTARY PENDING DISABILITY RETIREMENTS FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL 2010(attached)
5. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE STATE EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT SYSTEM DISABILITY RETIREMENTS FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL 2010 AS APPROVED BY THE MEDICAL EXAMINING BOARD ON MARCH 31, 2010 (attached)
6. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF MUNICIPAL RETIREMENT SYSTEM RETIREMENTS (attached)
7. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE CONNECTICUT PROBATE JUDGES AND EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT FUND PERSONAL EXPENSES FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL 2010 (attached)
8. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE STATE EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT COMMISSION'S MANAGEMENT TRUSTEES PER DIEM AND TRAVEL EXPENSES REIMBURSEMENTS FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL 2010 (attached)
9. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE STATE EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT COMMISSION'S UNION TRUSTEES PER DIEM AND TRAVEL EXPENSES REIMBURSEMENTS FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL (attached)
10. PROBATE JUDGES' AND EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT FUND STATEMENT OF OPERATIONS AND BALANCE SHEET FOR THE YEAR ENDING DECEMBER 31, 2009
11. REQUEST COMMISSION CONSIDERATION OF THE APRIL 15, 2010 RECOMMENDATION RECEIVED FROM IT'S SUBCOMMITTEE ON PURCHASE OF SERVICE AND RELATED MATTERS (attached)
12. REQUEST COMMISSION CONSIDERATION OF THE APRIL 19, 2010 RECOMMENDATIONS RECEIVED FROM ITS SUBCOMMITTEE ON REGULATIONS AND OVERPAYMENTS
A. Ana Reyes (MERS) - (member) Overpayment due to receiving a social security disability award and not reporting it to MERS.
B. Francisco Nieves (MERS) - (member) Overpayment due to receiving a social security disability award and not reporting it to MERS.
C.Ramon Alers (MERS) - (member) Overpayment due to receiving workers compensation payments while collecting a service connected disability benefit and not reporting it to MERS.
D. Lawrence Palermo (SERS) - (member) Overpayment due to exceeding 80% "maximum": combination of retirement benefit, social security and earned income exceeds the 80% limit.
2. Procedures - (Discussion)
A.Change in subcommittee procedure whereby all waiver applicantsare scheduled to appear in front of the subcommittee for a hearing/interview.
B. Commission hearings procedure: At its November 19, 2009 hearing, and in connection with waiver requests, the Commission directed the Division to notify attorneys and other legal representatives that in the future, the client (retiree or claimant) must accompany the attorney or representative to the hearing or the hearing will not go forward.Darryl Mickey has sought a request for reconsideration (hearing) on his underpayment situation. Mr. Mickey cannot attend. The purpose of this agenda item is to discuss exceptions (if any) to the attendance requirement.
c.Informational only: change in information presented in case history to the Commission (no financial information in case history)
13. REQUESTS FOR RECONSIDERATION OF THE COMMISSION'S DECISIONS FROM ITS FEBRUARY 2010 MEETING ON THE FOLLOWING REQUESTS FOR WAIVERS OF REPAYMENT OF OVERPAYMENTS:
A. REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATIONS: ON THE RECORD ("PAPERS")
|James Mogob (MERS)||Attachment A|
Mr. Mogob has requested reconsideration of the Commission's decision to deny him a waiver and to set an appropriate repayment plan at 24 months.
14. REQUEST COMMISSION APPROVAL OF THE PROPOSED DECLARATORY RULING IN THE MATTER OF PRISCILLA DICKMAN TO BE ISSUED PRIOR TO JUNE 8, 2010 IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 5-55-1(e)(1)(A) OF THE REGULATIONS OF CONNECTICUT STATE AGENCIES (attached) (executive session may be required for discussion)
15. REQUEST COMMISSION APPOINTMENT OF A MUNICIPAL LIAISON FOR CMERS IN ACCORDANCE WITH CGS SECTION 5-155 (a)(4)(A) TO FILL THE VACANCY LEFT BY THE RETIREMENT OF JEFFREY SMITH
There is a vacancy on the Commission with regard to a "municipal liaison" representing the CMERS system. Two individuals have asked to be considered candidates for this position: Dominic M. Cutaia (Town of Manchester Fire Rescue) and Tom Landry (Town Administrator - Weston). Messrs. Cutaia and Landry have submitted letters of interest with regard to this appointment (attached)
16. REQUEST COMMISSION'S REVIEW AND RECONSIDERATION OF IT'S DECEMBER 17, 2009 DENIAL OF TIMOTHY WENTZELL'S REQUEST TO TRANSFER FROM TIER II TO TIER I IN SERS. (the hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m., Mr. Wentzell and Attorney Eric W. Chester of Ferguson & Doyle, P.C. will be in attendance)
Return to Meetings, Agendas and Minutes Home Page
Return to Comptroller's Home Page