MEMORANDUM NO. 99-42
October 8, 1999
TO THE HEADS OF ALL STATE AGENCIES
||Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business Managers, and Payroll and Personnel
||Change in the Method of Payment for Reportable Tuition/Travel Reimbursements
to Employees from Union Funds (9916)
- The purpose of this memorandum is to provide agencies with information regarding the
payment conversion of reportable tuition and travel reimbursements issued to employees
from Union Tuition and Training Funds (9916). Effective November 1, 1999 all reportable
9916 reimbursements will be requested on a CO-17XP-PR form.
II. CURRENT PROCEDURE
- Memoranda 97-57 and 98-32 advised agencies that the method for employee
reimbursements would be converted to the payroll system from the accounts payable system
except for those reimbursements issued from Union Tuition and Training Funds (9916).
- Agencies are being asked to assist with the conversion of additional employee
reimbursements to the payroll process.
- The method to reimburse employees for tuition and travel, determined to be reportable
from Union Tuition and Training Funds (9916), will change. At this time, the method for non-reportable
tuition and travel reimbursement payments will remain unchanged. Currently, a separate
CO-17XP is required for any payment determined to be reportable.
III. NEW PROCEDURE
- As of November 1, 1999, reportable reimbursements must be submitted to the Office of the
State Comptroller on the EMPLOYEE PAYROLL REIMBURSEMENTS, CO-17XP-PR, form.
Non-reportable reimbursements will continue to be submitted on a CO-17XP.
- The employee will submit a claim on the PERT-1, Tuition Reimbursement Form, to their
agency Tuition and Training Officer. The Officer will determine the reportability of the
claim. If the claim is determined to be reportable, a CO-17XP-PR form must be completed.
- All forms related to the requests for reimbursement (reportable and non-reportable) must
be submitted together. The two documents together must equal the authorized amount on the
- As the Addendum form is completed, a determination is made regarding the portion of the
employee's travel reimbursement that is reportable. Submit the reportable
reimbursement portion on the CO-17XP-PR form, in duplicate. Additional copies of the other
related travel receipts are not required.
IV. CO-17XP-PR EMPLOYEE PAYROLL REIMBURSEMENTS FORM
- Complete the employee's name, address, employee number, social security number, the
agency's Level Two Payroll Unit information, travel authorization number and period
covered sections on the form.
- TRNS CD R1; D/OE 0B (Zero B); Amount; Agency 9916; Fund 0; SID (bargaining unit); Object
01230; Extension; Agency Number.
- In the Employee Expenditure section list only the items that are reportable.
- The appropriate signatures must also be obtained before submission to the Office of the
- The payroll portion of the reimbursement will be received in the employee's
bi-weekly paycheck. A separate check will be received by the employee for the
non-reportable reimbursement until further notice.
- Questions regarding this memorandum should be directed as follows within the Office of
the State Comptroller.
- 9916 Tuition and Training Funds Processing - Management Services Division
- Tuition - (860) 702-3346
- Travel - (860) 702-3335
- Interpretation of this Memorandum - Policy Services Division: 702-3440.
Back to Comptroller's Home Page
Back to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda