|STATE OF CONNECTICUT|
THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1775
MEMORANDUM NO. 95 - 33A-1
June 16, 1995
|Attention:||Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business Managers, and Payroll and Personnel Officers|
|Subject:||State Coalition of Pay Equity Agreement (SCOPE) -Additional Information|
To provide special instructions on how to pay overtime to employees receiving half-step, temporary SCOPE recruitment and retention (NP-6 and P-1 Bargaining units) and/or above-step stipends due to the SCOPE Agreement (effective 6/23/95, payable in check dated 7/21/95) and to clarify Section II-B of Memorandum 95-34.
Please refer to Personnel Administrative Memorandum 95-62/PA 38 dated June 8, 1995.
Half-step, above-step and other SCOPE stipends are to be paid bi-weekly. The adjustments listed in Sections IV and V following apply only to SCOPE stipends.
Comptroller's Memorandum 95-33A Addendum stated that overtime payments must be adjusted pward to reflect SCOPE stipends:
"Any employee receiving additional compensation bi-weekly due to a SCOPE stipend must have the hourly equivalent of their stipend pay included in any overtime calculations."
The following procedures should be used for any employee receiving a half-step, above-step and/or SCOPE recruitment and retention stipend, until this "SCOPE stipend" is discontinued. The SCOPE Overtime Hourly Rate to be used is to be calculated as follows:
- Divide the biweekly "SCOPE stipend" (DOE codes 2M through 2W) by the employee's biweekly base hours, rounded up to the penny;
- Add this "SCOPE stipend" hourly rate to the employee's base hourly rate.
This combined amount represents the new SCOPE Overtime Hourly Rate.
EXAMPLE: The employee receives a $ 50.00 SCOPE stipend biweekly. The employee's base biweekly hours are 70. $ 50.00/70 = .7142857... = $ .72/hour. The employee's hourly rate is $ 15.88; the Scope Overtime Hourly Rate would = $ 16.60 ( $ 15.88 + .72).
The following payroll coding should be used in paying overtime for affected employees:
Collective Bargaining agreements with cost of living adjustments (COLAs) will require an adjustment be made when the COLA is effective to the SCOPE stipend (effective with the date of the COLA). Currently, the NP-1, NP-5, NP-6 and P-1 bargaining units have COLAs effective in July 1995. In the above example, of a $ 50.00 biweekly SCOPE Stipend, and assuming a 3% COLA, the following calculation must be made and a new biweekly stipend amount paid:
- the old biweekly SCOPE stipend amount = $ 50.00
- the new biweekly SCOPE stipend amount = $ 51.50 (50 x 1.03)
The $51.50 would be the new biweekly SCOPE stipend amount for a full pay period at the new rate. For a split pay period, in our example above for the pay period 6/23/95 through 7/6/95, the stipend amount would be:
- $ 50.00 divided by the number of hours worked biweekly = .72 (see example above);
- $ 51.50 divided by the number of hours worked biweekly = .74 ($ 51.50/70);
- Multiply the number of hours worked from June 23 through June 30 by the old rate, which equals 42 hours times $.72 = $ 30.24 (using 7 hour days 6/23, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 for our example);
- Multiply the number of hours worked from July 1 through July 6 by the new rate, which equals 28 hours times $ .74 = $ 20.72 (using 7 hour days 7/3, 4, 5, and 6 in our example);
- The total stipend for the split pay period should be $50.96.
Questions may be directed as follows:
Payroll Procedures: Central Payroll 566-5428
Contract Interpretation: Agency Personnel Officers
Memorandum Interpretation: Accounting Systems 566-4265
Back to Comptroller's Home Page
Back to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda