||STATE OF CONNECTICUT
|WILLIAM E. CURRY JR.
THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1775
|EDWARD J. FORAND
MEMORANDUM NO. 94-27
December 23, 1994
TO THE HEADS OF ALL STATE AGENCIES
||Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business Managers, and Payroll and Personnel
||Desert Shield and Desert Storm War Service Benefits, Compensation and Longevity
Public Act 94-245, effective June 2, 1994, establishes an ending date for the period of
service in time of war during Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm.
The eligible Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm service period is:
||August 2, 1990
||June 30, 1994
II. IMPACTED BENEFITS
- A. "Part Pay" provision of PA 91-2 (Comptroller's Memorandum No.
- Employees of the executive, legislative and judicial branches on military leave engaged
in operations of Desert Shield/Storm will no longer receive "part pay" after
June 30, 1994.
- B. Service Time for Longevity Eligibility and State Employees' Retirement
- War service time for subject conflict is active duty in the Armed Forces during the
period August 2, 1990 through June 30, 1994.
III. AGENCY RESPONSIBILITY
- A. Agencies should make a reconciliation between the amount of "part
pay" paid to each qualified employee and the amount due. The steps necessary to
perform this reconciliation were outlined in an interdepartmental memorandum dated March
15, 1991. If the employee has been overpaid, take the necessary steps, as outlined in the
employee's collective bargaining contract or as prescribed by State policy, to obtain
- B. Agencies should review their determination of each employee's service
time basis for longevity eligibility, ensuring inclusion of eligible war service periods
as modified by Public Act 94-245.
- Please address your questions concerning this memorandum as follows:
- Payroll Procedures: Office of the State Comptroller
Central Payroll Division, 702-3447
- Memorandum Interpretation: Office of the State Comptroller
Accounting Systems Division, 702-3440
WILLIAM E. CURRY JR.
Back to Index of 1993-1994 Comptroller's Memoranda
Back to Comptroller's Home Page