1. Should child welfare petty cash be included on report?
A. Yes. Petty Cash Fund Report has two columns: General Fund and
2. Agency has a $200 authorized level of petty cash. How can agency
return petty cash?
A. A voucher must be completed to replenish and then redeposit. (see
Paragraph 2.6 and 2.7, Chapter 12 of the State Accounting Manual)
3. How does an agency establish a Petty Cash Fund or increase the
amount of funds in an existing Petty Cash Fund?
A. Send a request to the Director of the Administrative Services Division in
memorandum form. The memorandum should include from what fund the advance is
requested, amount requested, justification for request and length of
request. Request should come from the agency head. (see Paragraph 2.3,
Chapter 12 of the State Accounting Manual)
4. How does an agency obtain an exemption to exceed the $50.00
threshold per incident for the use of petty cash?
A. Submit an email to
OSC.PettyCash@po.state.ct.us with the dollar amount,
the justification, the agency name and the name, address and telephone
of a contact person. (see Paragraph 2.4, Chapter 12 of the State Accounting
5. What steps should an agency take if an unexplained shortage is
discovered in the Petty Cash Fund?
A. In the event a significant unexplainable shortage is discovered in
the Petty Cash Fund, the following steps must be taken:
(1) The Petty Cash Fund Custodian must report all losses to the agency
head immediately. If a loss results from an apparent criminal act or under
mysterious circumstances, the agency must:
1. Immediately notify the local police department or if applicable,
local security division, i.e. campus police, capital police, etc.
The report should include in the "Brief Description of Property" the fund
from which the petty cash fund was created. Questions regarding the
reporting of losses should be directed to the Office
of the State Comptroller, Administrative Services Division, Telephone 702-3440.
(2) Replenishment for Petty Cash Loss: A separate voucher must be
submitted promptly by the agency to replenish the Petty Cash Fund for the
amount of the loss. A copy of the loss report - Form CO-853 must be attached
to the voucher, to substantiate the claim for replenishment.
The loss must be charged to the custodial agency's appropriation, using
Expense Account 54762 - Petty Cash Losses.
(3) Monies recovered directly by the agency are to be recorded in the
Accounts Receivable module within Core-CT using account code 54762 - Petty
Cash Losses crediting the custodial agency's appropriation for current year
recoveries and account code 44410 for Prior Year recoveries.
Petty Cash Fund losses recovered under fidelity bond coverage will
be treated by the Comptroller in the same manner as recoveries of other
types of losses.
To obtain the use of funds realized from an insurance settlement, process an
"Allotment Request Form", B-107.(see the Property Control Manual).