STATE OF CONNECTICUT
THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1775
MEMORANDUM NO. 2009-01
January 23, 2009
TO THE HEADS OF ALL STATE AGENCIES
||Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business Managers,
Payroll and Human Resources Officers
||Reduction in GSA Mileage Reimbursement Rate
I. GSA Mileage Rate Reduced to 55 Cents Per Mile
- According to the Federal Register dated January 15, 2009, the General
Services Administration (GSA) of the Federal Government is reducing the
reimbursement rate from 58.5 cents to 55 cents per mile for use of privately
owned automobiles when authorized as advantageous to the Government.
II. IMPACT ON STATE MILEAGE REIMBURSEMENT RATES
- The GSA rate is used as the mileage reimbursement rate for many State of
Connecticut collective bargaining units. The "mileage reimbursement rate" under
many State collective bargaining unit agreements is subject to adjustment within
30 days of revision to the Federal GSA rate.
- In accordance with General Notice 2009-01 from the Office of Labor Relations,
the mileage reimbursement rate reduction is effective for travel on or after
February 12, 2009 for employees using personally owned vehicles for official
- The decreased rate applies to non-represented employees and the following
collective bargaining units: NP-2, NP-3, NP-4, NP-5, NP-6, NP-8, P-1, P-2, P-3A,
P-3B, P-4 and
- The above provisions also apply to Managerial and Confidential employees and
all other executive branch employees who are exempt from the classified service
or not included in any prevailing bargaining unit contract, except unclassified
of any board of trustees of the constituent units of higher education.
- Managerial employees governed by the Boards of Higher Education are notified
by their respective boards.
- The excess of an employee's mileage payment reimbursed at a rate higher than
the standard mileage rate of 55 cents per mile is reportable. Refer to
Comptrollers Memorandum 2008-46.
- Please direct questions or requests for assistance as follows:
- Payroll Procedures: Payroll Services Division (860) 702-3463.
- Personnel Issues: Agency Personnel Officer
- Memorandum Interpretation: Fiscal Policy Division, (860) 702-3440.
Return to Index of 2009 Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Comptroller's Home Page