STATE OF CONNECTICUT
THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1775
MEMORANDUM NO. 2006 - 41
TO THE HEADS OF ALL STATE AGENCIES
December 7, 2006
||Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business Managers, and
Payroll and Personnel Officers
||Change in the Method of Payment for Tuition
Reimbursements to Employees from Union Funds
- The purpose of this memorandum is to provide agencies with information
regarding the payment conversion of tuition reimbursements issued to
employees from Union Tuition and Training Funds. Effective January 1, 2007
all union tuition reimbursements will be processed through the payroll
- This payment method will help safeguard employee's personal information
requiring social security numbers, provide one method of payment for
employee travel and tuition reimbursements and provide better record keeping
for the employee.
III. EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOR TUITION REIMBURSEMENTS
- Reimbursements paid from the Union Tuition and Training Funds no longer
employee's social security number. Agencies must enter the employee number
new CO-101, Application for Tuition Reimbursement form to ensure
reimbursement to the correct employee.
- If tuition reimbursement requests have already been completed and
approved on the old form, please add the employee number in the upper right
hand corner of the tuition reimbursement form before submitting to the
Fiscal Policy Division. Any tuition reimbursement requests already submitted
to the Fiscal Policy Division for the Fall 2006 semester, will be processed.
Starting with the Spring 2007 semester, all reportable and non-reportable
tuition reimbursements must be submitted to the Fiscal Policy Division on
the new CO-101.
IV. REVISED PROCEDURES FOR THE SUBMISSION OF REPORTABLE AND NON-REPORTABLE
- Tuition reimbursement applications must be submitted on a timely basis
to adhere to collective bargaining contracts. Under no circumstances should
reimbursement requests be accumulated. When submitting tuition
reimbursement, please follow these instructions:
- The new form CO-101, Application for Tuition Reimbursement, replaces the
PERT-1 Application form. This form is available at
- For identification of requests, please assign a separate number to each
tuition reimbursement application form (CO-101) and enter it under the block
- Departmental payroll code is to be completed by the agency.
- Submit the original CO-101 with legible supporting documentation to the
Comptroller's Fiscal Policy Division - Tuition Unit for processing. All
supporting documentation must be attached. If the documentation is illegible
or incomplete, it will be returned to the agency.
- Non-reportable tuition reimbursements - check off No in the Reportable
section of the CO-101.
- Reportable tuition reimbursements - check off Yes in the Reportable
section of the CO-101.
- Continue to send the DAS Priority Log List to: Att:Linda Shackett-Blue,
Department of Administrative Services, Room 422, 165 Capitol Avenue,
Hartford, CT 06106 or fax to (860) 713-7472.
- For more details, please see the OSC Tuition Procedures at
- Please direct all questions to the Office of the State Comptroller as
Tuition Payments: Fiscal Policy Division, Tuition and Training Unit,
- CO-101, Application for Tuition Reimbursement Form and Memorandum
Interpretation: Fiscal Policy Division, (860) 702-3440.
Return to Index of 2006 Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Comptroller's Home Page