STATE OF CONNECTICUT
THE STATE COMPTROLLER
55 ELM STREET
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1775
MEMORANDUM NO. 2004-05
January 30, 2004
TO THE HEADS OF ALL STATE AGENCIES
Chief Administrative and Fiscal Officers, Business Managers, and
Payroll and Personnel Officers
||Travel Reimbursements to Employees from Union Funds, Previously Known as 9916
- The purpose of this memorandum is to advise agencies to resume submitting
reimbursement requests for travel from Union Funds.
II. GENERAL INFORMATION
- With the implementation of the HRMS module of Core-CT, payments for
reportable and non-reportable travel reimbursement requests were delayed.
Effective immediately, all travel reimbursements from union funds will be
processed. If not yet submitted, agencies may begin to submit reimbursement
III. REVISED PROCEDURES
Agencies must now use the following procedures when processing travel
1. Prior to travel, employee must complete the Travel Authorization
Form (CO-112) and submit for approval. Once approved by the employee's
supervisor and the agency head (or designee), the CO-112 will be forwarded
to authorizing person within the agency for processing.
- Prior Union approval must be obtained for the P-3B, P-4, NP-2, NP-3,
and NP-5 unions and must accompany the CO-112.
- 2. The authorized CO-112 and back-up materials must be sent to the
Office of the State Comptroller, Management Services Division, 2nd Floor,
Room 219, for review and approval. The agency will receive a copy once
- 3. Travel Authorizations may be returned if necessary information on
the form is not completed or if:
- - additional justification material is required
- - in-state mileage is incorrect
- - car rental memorandum is not attached
- - union funds for travel have been exhausted
- - copy of the original approved travel authorization is needed
- - meal allowance does not follow union/travel regulations
- - employee has exhausted the annual union allowance.
- Refer to the Current Exception Report for detailed corrections and
provide the indicated information, as applicable, and return as noted.
Items that indicate union funds are exhausted should not be returned
unless otherwise noted.
- 4. After travel has occurred, the employee will submit the
reimbursement request on the Employee Payroll Reimbursements Form (CO-17XP-PR*) and attach all appropriate receipts. All information should
be verified prior to submission of the documents in order to avoid delays.
- 5. The Addendum form must be completed if claiming meal or travel
allowances. A determination will be made regarding the portion of the
travel reimbursement that is reportable. Submit both non-reportable and
reportable reimbursement portions on one CO-17XP-PR* form. The following
information must be completed:
- Employee Number
- Employee Name and Address
- Social Security Number
- Advance from Petty Cash (if applicable)
- Payee Certification - Payee's Signature and Date
- Employee Expenditures (itemized)
- Department Name
- Travel Authorization Number
- Period Covered (From/To) - Month, Day and Year
- 6. All documentation will be submitted to authorizing person in agency
who will review all documentation for completion and accuracy and will
then complete the following information on the CO-17XP-PR* form:
- Department Payroll Code
- Coding Information
- Earning Code Definition (ERN/CD); Amount; Department; SID; Program ;
Account; Project/Grant; Chartfield 1 and Chartfield 2 (leave blank);
- Payee Certification - Supervisor Signature and Date, Signature of Agency Head
- Submit the Addendum, if applicable, the original CO-17XP-PR* form and
all documentation to the Office of the State Comptroller, Management
Services Division, 2nd Floor, Room 219. Please retain a copy for agency
records. The CO-19, Expenditure Batch Header, is no longer required when
processing a CO-17XP-PR* form.
- 7. The Management Services Division will review the documentation as
submitted. If an error is found, the documents will be returned to the
agency for correction. Refer to the Travel Reimbursement Exception Report
for detailed corrections. Errors for disallowance include, but are not
- - lack of approved copy of travel authorization
- - reimbursement does not agree with approved travel authorization
- - lacks proof of payment for expenditures over $25.00
- - requires authorized agency or employee signature
- - addendum form required
- - time of departure/arrival; from/to home required to verify meal
- - requires correct coding
- 8. If approved, the documents will be authorized for payment. The
travel reimbursement will be included in the employee's bi-weekly
- * The revised CO-17XP-PR form can be printed from the State Comptroller's
website at www.osc.state.ct.us.
- Please refer to the attached Core-CT account coding when entering coding
information on the CO-17XP-PR form.
- Please direct all questions to the Office of the State Comptroller,
Management Services Division as follows:
Union Travel Payments - (860) 702-3344
- CO-17XP-PR Form and Memorandum Interpretation - (860) 702-3440.
Return to Index of 2004 Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Index of Comptroller's Memoranda
Return to Comptroller's Home Page